Leading healthcare organizations that have implemented IG programs share some common characteristics:
- Value information as an asset – understand the value and risks of information and strive to link information value to organizational objectives;
- Collaborative culture – recognize that interdisciplinary cooperation is key, and that clinical and business process owners must have strong support from IT, Legal, HIM/RIM, privacy/security;
- Strong executive sponsorship – executives understand the linkage between quality information and quality patient care, and understand that minimizing information risks protects patient trust, brand equity, and shareholder value;
- Operational efficiency focus – organizational competence in policy-making, business process design, and process improvement;
- Continuous improvement ethos – a cultural commitment to be a learning organization where continual improvement is valued and reinforced.